Bring your buffalo chicken game to the next level with the bite sized version
- 2 lbs ground chicken breast
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz blue cheese (cut in pieces)
- 2 1/2 cups hot sauce (Frank’s Red Hot brand recommended)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (cut in pieces)
For the garnish
- 2 ribs celery (finely chopped)
- 1 cup blue cheese or ranch dressing (for dipping)
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly to ensure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Using about 1 tablespoon of the chicken mixture, lightly flatten out into a disk and add a piece of blue cheese (about 1/2 inch piece.) Close the chicken around the cheese and roll into a ball. Cheese should be completely encased by the chicken so it will not leak through into the sauce while cooking.*
- Repeat the chicken, cheese, rolling process until all the chicken is used.
- In a crock pot, add 1/2 cup of hot sauce to the bottom to prevent meatballs from sticking or burning. Layer meatballs and remaining 2 cups of hot sauce so the meatballs are evenly coated.**
- Scatter pieces over butter over the top of the meatballs. Cover and cook on high for two hours.
- After cooking, gently stir meatballs to evenly coat with hot sauce and to stir in any separated butter. Transfer to a serving dish and coat with remaining buffalo sauce from the crock pot.
- Sprinkle the buffalo chicken meatballs with chopped celery. Serve alongside blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
*Ground chicken mixture will quickly stick to your hands. To make the process easier, keep a small bowl of water nearby and lightly wet your hands throughout the process.
**Hot sauce will not completely cover all the meatballs. If some of the chicken is not coated with hot sauce, stir about halfway through the cooking process.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American