Perfect for entertaining and switching up your go to breakfast sandwhich. Lamb roast dry rubbed with spices and roasted in the oven sliced thin and layered on warmed mini naan with fluffy scrambled eggs and creamy avocado tzatziki sauce.
- 4 lb boneless leg of lamb or shoulder roast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 packages mini naan flatbreads*
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
Avocado Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 avocados
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- Dry rubbed lamb roast: Season the lamb with the dry rub, preferably the night before to let the salt tenderize the roast, but it can be done the day of cooking as well. In a small bowl combine all spices. Remove the lamb from the packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Generously, rub the spice rub all over the roast. If preparing the night before, lightly cover with wrap and return to the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, while the oven preheats let the roast rest at room temperature. Line a baking sheet with foil and set a wire baking rack over the sheet pan. Place the dry rubbed lamb roast on top of the rack. Roast in the oven on the middle rack for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the center of the roast reaches 160°F. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes.
- After resting, remove any netting from the roast and slice as thinly as possible.
- Avocado tzatziki sauce: In a large bowl, mash the avocado. Add the yogurt and whisk together vigorously until mostly smooth. Combine the garlic, cucumber, vinegar, salt and dill with the avocado yogurt mixture. Return to the fridge until everything is ready to serve.
- Fluffy scrambled eggs: In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Heat a non stick skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the whisked eggs. As the eggs begin to cook “scrape” them from the bottom of the pan with a rubber spatula until fluffy and just cooked.
- Assembling: Either in the oven or the microwave, warm the naan flatbread. Layer with slices of lamb, scrambled eggs and generous spoonful of avocado tzatziki. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- For mini flatbreads, we like the Stonefire mini naan flatbreads but if those are unavailable you can substitute small pitas.
- For best results, dry rub the lamb roast the night before and take out about an hour before cooking.
- The lamb can be made in advance, reheat with a little beef stock so it doesn’t dry out.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: lamb gyros, breakfast gyros, breakfast sandwiches, brunch recipes, breakfast for a crowd