Savory shaved brussel sprouts, golden braised and drizzled with creamy, bright, lemon garlic aioli. These Braised Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Garlic Aioli are an easy side dish that are guaranteed to please.
Braised Brussel Sprouts
- 9 cups shaved brussel sprouts (about 1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces diced pancetta
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon dry white wine
Lemon Garlic Aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Using a food processor or small blender, add the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon zest. Turn on to purée for 30 to 60 seconds, until garlic is finely minced. Add the lemon juice and purée another 15 to 20 seconds to incorporate. Set aside.
- In a large, deep sided skillet heat the olive oil. Add the pancetta and sauté over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Stir shallots into the pan pan for 30 seconds before adding the garlic. Continue to cook the pancetta, shallots and garlic until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add shaved sprouts to the pan, stirring frequently to absorb the oils in the pan. Season with salt and red pepper flakes. Once the bottom of the pan starts to brown and sprouts begin to stick, pour 1/2 cup white wine over the sprouts. Stir with a wooden spoon scraping the bottom of the pan for 5 minutes or until the wine is absorbed and the bottom of the pan starts to brown again. Add the final tablespoon of white wine, stir, and turn off the heat.
- Plate the braised Brussel sprouts and drizzle with the lemon garlic aioli.
- Bacon can be substituted for pancetta to add a smokey flavor.
- Pancetta can be omitted for a vegetarian version.
- If you can’t find shallots, a small yellow onion chopped finely can be substituted.