Perfect for breakfast whether you’re breastfeeding or not! These blueberry lemon lactation pancakes can be made ahead and frozen for a quick breakfast.
- 2 cup (240ml) whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 1/4 cup (288g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (28g) ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons brewers yeast
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- zest of 2 Meyer lemons
- 4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, melted (plus more for griddle)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Zest + Juice: zest the Meyer lemons and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the milk and Meyer lemon juice and let sit.
- Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – flour, flaxseed, brewers yeast, fenugreek (if using), baking soda, salt, and sugar. Whisk together.
- Wet Ingredients: Add the reserved lemon zest and lightly beaten eggs to the milk and lemon juice mixture. Whisk in melted (but not hot) unsalted butter.
- Combine wet and dry: Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk until just combined, the batter should still be lumpy. If using frozen blueberries, you can add them to the batter now or top each pancake before flipping.
- Heat + flip: Heat an electric griddle to 375°F or a cast iron or non-stick pan and brush with butter. Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter onto the cook surface for a 6-inch pancake. Cook about 2 1/2 minutes, or until you see bubbles start to form and the edges are cooked. Flip and cook another 60 to 90 seconds.
- To freeze: stack the pancakes no more than 6 in a stack, with a small piece of parchment or wax paper between each. Carefully place into a plastic storage bag and press out as much air as possible without squishing the pancakes. Freeze for up to 3 weeks. To reheat, just pop into the toaster or toaster oven.
Regular lemons can be substituted for Meyer lemons but be sure to measure the lemon juice since the size may differ. Regular lemons are a bit more tart, so only use the zest of 1 lemon.
Keywords: lactation recipes, make ahead breakfast, recipes for new moms