Instant Pot Collard Greens with Jalapeño + Bacon
Instant Pot Collard Greens with Jalapeño + Bacon are a simple way to make a classic barbecue side dish! Instead of stirring them on the hot stovetop, let the Instant Pot do all the work, resulting in tender, flavorful, rich collard greens with just a hint of spice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Category: Side Dish
- 1 yellow onion, 1/2″ dice
- 1 jalapeño, 1/4″ dice
- 1 pound center cut bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds shredded collard greens (about 2 bunches cut into thing strips)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- Set the instant pot to the ‘sauté’ setting. melt the nutter and add the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until the bacon is crispy and the fat is reduced. (Be careful as the fat in the pan may splatter as the heat rises.)
- Add the diced onions and jalapeño to the bacon and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir the collard greens into the pot. Add the heat hits the greens they will start to wilt, making more room in the pot for all the greens. Pour in the white wine and chicken stock and stir in the salt, crushed red pepper and dijon mustard.
- Close the lid to the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is sealed. Turn off the ‘sauté’ setting and set on normal pressure for 20 minutes (‘beans/chili’ setting on some Instant Pot models.)
- After cooking, allow Instant Pot to depressurize for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and serve.¹
¹There will be liquid in the pot after cooking. You can strain the greens from the liquid or serve with it. If you keep the liquid, serve with a slotted spoon.
²Instant Pot Collard Greens will stay good for up to 4 days refrigerated in air tight container, reheat to serve.