Silky, rich texture and bright tomato basil flavor pop in this easy, no fuss Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cup whole raw cashews
- In the instant pot, add olive oil and onions on ‘Sauté’ setting. Sauté until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot. Seal the pot with the lid and set the steam valve to ‘sealing’ position. Press the ‘Soup’ or ‘Manual’ button and cook high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Let the pot naturally depressurize for 10 minutes before moving the steam valve to vent. Once the red toggle button is down, remove the lid.
- Using a hand blender or carefully transferring the soup to a standing blender. Blend on high for 5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Optional: Brush pieces of your favorite hearty vegan bread with vegan butter and cut into squares. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese and toast in the oven on 375°F for 5 minutes or until slightly brown and crunchy.
Stove Top Directions: After incorporating all ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure the tomatoes don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Note about blending: If you don’t have a hand blender, a regular standing blender can be substituted. You may have to transfer the soup in two batches, leaving about 4 inches of space from the top of the blender. Don’t forget to be super careful, as the soup and the pot will be very very hot!